Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Sunday Readings, 28th Sunday of Ordinary Time

I'm up to give a reflection on the readings at RCIA this weekend. Here are my notes.  Two Romano Guardini quotes, but they are from the same chapter in The Lord, so I'll only count them as one.  Still, better than none!

Notes on Google Docs

I'm a contrarian, so I avoid the easy way out and say "Ancient Jews thought money mean blessing, but Jesus says no, so ha!"  That may be true but it seems too simple.  And I have to stretch this out for 30 minutes.  But I was always skeptical of that.  Like the ancient Jews were all a bunch of health-and-wealth megachurch-goers.  When you're ruled by a foreign power that likes to pin people up on a cross to demonstrate its power, it's hard to believe there'd be a lot of people in the synagogue listening to Joel Osteen.  But I could be wrong.  I wasn't there.

Furthermore, the essential Guardini argument does not go there and there's little of the health-and-wealth notion in Lapide either. (Link to Matthew 19, as the parallel account in Matthew has a much fuller explanation by Lapide).

No comments:

Post a Comment