Friday, May 8, 2015

On Redefinition of Marriage

Of interest. An amicus brief with the Supreme Court (link points to a 100 page PDF file).  I'm unfamiliar with amicus briefs, having only read this one and only because it was co-written by PJ O'Rourke.

Some discussion of the testimony during the Supreme Court case (which is where I got the link above).

There are a lot of amicus briefs for that case. Holy crap.  I looked at a few of the documents and I'm not sure I'd call them "brief" and I suspect not all of them are amicable.

I noted with interest that one was written by Catholic Answers and weighs in at around 55 pages.  Before I started sending them angry letters they used to send "urgent" appeals every week.  They'd be full of apocalyptic language about how society would collapse if I didn't send them a check right now(!).  There would usually be some crisis afoot and Catholic Answers would need money to address it.  "What are you going to do with the money?" I'd ask.  "If you're just going to do what you do, then I'll help you do it, but if you're just using hysterical reaction to today's news, then forget it."  That's what I said, but there was no answer.  But now I know at least a little bit what they are up to. I imagine that it costs a bit to get a team of lawyers to write a 55 page document (minus boilerplate cover pages).

No comments:

Post a Comment