Sunday, April 28, 2013

Dieting sucks

I've been on a diet since December of 2012.  As of now I've lost 45 pounds. And actually, according to my Wii, if I lose 2 more pounds, I'll no longer hear it's chirpy little voice say "That's overweight!" when I weigh in (I was recently in Japan and the elevators actually do speak to you in that same chirpy voice, possibly telling me I'm overweight, it's hard to say). Since this is a family blog, I won't go into the details of my... digestive issues ... but let's just say it wasn't pleasant.  Fortunately the worst of it is over, but I still face the monotony of the diet.   The endless slog of it all.

Today I took a bowl of diet macaroni and cheese out of the microwave for what seems to be the thousandth time. I still have two boxes of those things in the closet.  It's almost like Elijah and the widow's jar of flour. No matter how much mac and cheese I eat, it never seems to be depleted. I remember I got a sample of that stuff with my other order and thought it was great and I could eat it every day.  I've been eating it every day, but it's not so great any more.  As I regarded the yellow soupy gruel, I looked over at my dog's bowl.  He doesn't like his food either.  "We both have a monotonous diet, buddy" I said. "No McDonalds for me and no Beneful for you."

When I started the diet I had a set of stock phrases ready in case anyone brought up my weight loss (I don't think on my feet so I have to plan ahead):  "I'm going to get healthy if it kills me!" I'd say in a cheerful voice.  And in fact if the mac and cheese doesn't kill me, these last two pounds on the Wii will.  That's become my final goal, to see what the Wii says when I'm in the normal range.  But I've been stuck on those two pounds for the last week.  I've unofficially decided the mac and cheese goes in the trash when the Wii Fit says I'm good, but that may never happen.

I can always cheat the system, but I've come this far.

So if you're considering getting fat, I'd discourage that notion. It's a whole lot easier to avoid putting the weight on, then it is to take it off.  Dieting sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment